The Sentinel - Eden Winters Anyone remember the movie Soldier? 1998, Kurt Russell is a soldier trained from infancy, fighting some galactic war, takes refuge with a refugee group living primitively on some abandoned planet and his socialization from merciless institutionalized drone to popular hero commences. *guessing no one raises their hand at that question* You shouldn’t remember it, it is a terrible and forgettable formulaic action adventure laced with sap to draw every audience member in - and a guilty pleasure of mine every time I catch it on SyFy or TNT on a lazy afternoon. Tweak the plot, change Connie Nielsen’s character to the male equivalent (maybe Orlando Bloom could be cast instead), swap the adolescent boy for an infant girl, add a dash of gay love and you’ve got The Sentinel.

Overlook the preposterous details - because The Sentinel is a sappy diverting distraction. Yes, strapping an infant in a back sling and going fishing has never gone as smoothly as it does in this book. Why in the futuristic sci-fi world a highly developed, technological Federation is pitted against villagers living as if it were medieval times - I have never figured out, but go with it. Any obstacle to our heroes playing house is very conveniently confronted and eliminated - I don’t want the melodrama dragged too far out, so I am happy about it. And everyone holds hands and dances into the sunset … under a rainbow.

If this story was anymore than 57 pages, I would have groaned and rolled my eyes from at least the 50% mark on. However, it is only 57 pages and sweet and supplied what I was looking for when I picked it up. Perfect for a lazy afternoon.

Enjoy this review? More at http://romanticnotion.blogspot.com